The Winnipeg Humane Society – Job Posting #2018-9-9
Position Title: Veterinary Technologist
Reports To: Director of Veterinary Services
Rate: $17.53 – $23.08
Hours: Monday – Friday 9:00am-2:00pm (25 hours/week)
DATES/TIMES OF SHIFTS COULD VARY/CHANGE
Start Date: ASAP
The Veterinary Technologist is responsible for animal health related duties in the shelter including helping complete daily surgeries, a primary responsibility of this position. The position will be required to work both independently and as part of a team. Strong communication skills both written and verbal are necessary.
• Graduate of a Veterinary Technologist Program
• Registered with the Manitoba Veterinary Technologist Association
• Good technical, judgmental and organizational skills
• Strong team-related skills, confidence and initiative to contribute new ideas
• Ability to work independently or as a team; ability to work under minimal supervision
Authority to perform all assigned duties and responsibilities within established policies and procedures.
Directly accountable to the Director of Veterinary Services. Must be able to take direction and work closely with the Senior Manager, Clinic Administration and Agency Relations and Manager, Clinic.
Regular, daily involvement with clinic staff, other WHS staff, volunteers and the public
Standards of Performance:
1. Keeping the mission of the Winnipeg Humane Society in the forefront when performing job duties, as well as when representing the Winnipeg Humane Society both inside and outside of the shelter environment.
2. Effectiveness, resourcefulness and responsibility are demonstrated in the completion of all assignments.
3. A high degree of professionalism is reflected in all interactions.
4. Reliability and diligence in position.
5. Successful and thorough completion of assigned job duties within reasonable time limits.
6. Effective communication with all departments, volunteers and customers.
7. Confidentiality is maintained on all matters pertaining to the WHS.
8. Work effectively within a team environment.
9. Humane and competent treatment of animals.
10. Independent utilization of assessment skills, patient monitoring and technological skills.
Exemplifies Winnipeg Humane Society’s Core Values:
• We are and always will be humane
• We sincerely respect each other
• We communicate proactively, and we listen
• We are humble, and we are always willing to accept better and new ideas
• We are committed to transparency and accountability
Participates in creating a thriving Culture of Philanthropy at Winnipeg Humane Society by:
• Being knowledgeable and supportive of WHS programs
• Sharing their passion for service to animals, people, and our community with our guests
• Serving as an inspiration to all guests by providing an exemplary level of animal care and guest service
• Being able to communicate a compelling case for support that demonstrates the impact of philanthropy on Winnipeg Humane Society
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Competently perform comprehensive physical examinations
• Accurately calculate, dispense and administer prescription medications
• Safely administer preanesthetic drugs, competently perform IV anesthesia induction, intubate and monitor anesthesia
• Thoroughly clean surgery and dental suites daily in a timely manner
• Tattoo animals post spay/neuter, extubate and recover
• Assist veterinarians in treatments and surgeries
• Perform medical procedures or treatments as directed by the veterinarians
• Perform euthanasia of indicated animals
• Provide consultations to the public regarding animal health related issues
• Document relevant medical information in computer system
• Maintain clinic equipment
• Provide information and staff training as required
• Other duties as reasonably assigned
Forward your resume and cover letter to:
Attn: Vicky Farmer
Please quote the Job Posting Number in your email or cover letter subject line.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Thank you for your interest in this position however only those
considered for an interview will be contacted.