The Winnipeg Humane Society – Job Posting #2019-9-6
Date: June 10, 2019
Position Title: Registered Veterinary Technologist, Clinic (2 positions)
Reports to: Director of Veterinary Services
Rate: $16.51 – $21.72
Hours: Mon-Fri 9-5 OR 8:30-4:30 (40 hours per week)
Dates/times or shifts could vary/change
Start Date: ASAP
Closing Date for Internal Applicants: June 14, 2019
The Registered Veterinary Technologist is responsible for animal health related duties in the shelter. The position requires independent thought, excellent judgement, and the ability to effectively apply relevant technical skills. The Technologist must also be able to communicate clearly and effectively with WHS staff and volunteers as well as the public; and provide medical advice when necessary.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Perform physical examinations of all animals in the shelter to assess for health and suitability for adoption
2. Perform pre-surgical preparation of animals both at time of induction and surgical scrub
3. Surgical and Post surgical monitoring of patients
4. Provide assistance to the Veterinarians and RVTs with surgery, examinations, and treatments including restraint, radiographs, vaccinations, and tattoos, etc.
5. Perform medical procedures or treatments as directed by the Veterinarians
6. Proficient in the performance of required laboratory testing and analysis of the results
7. Calculating, dispensing, and administering prescribed drugs and medication as required
8. Perform euthanasia of indicated animals
9. Record relevant medical information in computer system
10. Monitor inventory and communicate needs to Clinic Assistant II Surgery
11. Prepare and monitor surgical supplies and equipment
12. Perform maintenance procedures on clinic equipment and routine cleaning of clinic
13. Schedule and reschedule surgical and medical appointments
14. Perform animal health related statistics and clerical duties
15. Provide information and training to other staff on animal health related issues
16. Provide consultation to public regarding animal health related issues.
17. Other duties required for operation of the veterinary clinic as assigned
18. Complete yearly Continued Education as required by the MVTA to maintain membership
Standards of Performance:
1. Keeping the mission of The Winnipeg Humane Society in the forefront when performing job duties, as well as when representing The Winnipeg Humane Society both inside and outside the shelter environment.
2. Exemplary level of care is provided to each animal consistent with Humane Society policies and procedures.
3. Effective communication with fellow staff on an ongoing basis; a respectful workplace is maintained at all times.
4. Successful and thorough completion of assigned job duties within reasonable time limits.
5. Reliability and diligence in position.
Authority to perform all assigned duties and responsibilities within established policies and procedures.
Directly accountable to the Director of Veterinary Services for the performance of all assigned duties and responsibilities.
Exemplifies Winnipeg Humane Society’s Core Values:
• We are and always will be humane
• We sincerely respect each other
• We communicate proactively, and we listen
• We are humble, and we are always willing to accept better and new ideas
• We are committed to transparency and accountability
Participates in creating a thriving Culture of Philanthropy at Winnipeg Humane Society by:
• Being knowledgeable and supportive of WHS programs
• Sharing their passion for service to animals, people, and our community with our guests
• Serving as an inspiration to all guests by providing an exemplary level of animal care and guest service
• Being able to communicate a compelling case for support that demonstrates the impact of philanthropy on Winnipeg Humane Society
Has frequent contact with clinic staff, other WHS staff, volunteers, and public.
Abilities, Skills & Knowledge:
1. Excellent communication, time management, and observational skills
2. Positive, pleasant attitude and good interpersonal skills are required; must work effectively with the staff and volunteers of the shelter as a whole.
3. Demonstrated ability to work independently
Education, Training & Knowledge:
1. Graduate of a recognized Registered Veterinary Technologist program; previous experience in a Veterinary clinic or hospital is an asset
2. Registered with the Manitoba Veterinary Technologist Association (MVTA)
3. Scientific aptitude, problem solving skills, and attention to detail are essential
4. Accurate word processing and data entry skills, and basic computer skills
5. Responsible individual committed to the goals and objectives of the Society and prepared to carry out duties in a thorough, efficient manner
6. Experience and skills in restraining animals safely and effectively
Forward your resume and cover letter to:
Attn: Vicky Farmer
Please quote the Job Posting Number in your email and cover letter subject line.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Thank you for your interest in this position however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.