Company: City of Winnipeg – Animal Services Agency
Kennel Attendant (Re-post)
Posting No: 119240
Closing Date: November 5, 2020
Under the supervision of the Operations Coordinator, the Kennel Attendant uses their education and experience to maintain the highest level of care and quality of life for the animals in the care of the Animal Services Agency. The Kennel Attendant acts as a role model and leader to the Kennel Attendant Assistants.
Animal Services does not have a vet clinic. Approximately 80% of this position involves kennel cleaning, caring for animals, and customer service. The remaining 20% involves clinical work.
As the Kennel Attendant you will:
Oversee the health and care of animals, including recognizing and treating illness or injury.
Receive all incoming impounded animals, examine for identification and place in appropriate holding facility.
Handle, water, and feed all animals resident in the holding areas as appropriate; including dogs, cats, reptiles, commercial animals, etc.
Clean and disinfect kennel facilities according to appropriate schedules, techniques and standards.
Provide medication to animals, as directed, and maintain an inventory of all required medications.
Maintain required stock of supplies.
Maintain all required records and prepare reports when required.
Performs minor routine maintenance and repairs to kennel facility.
Release animals to owners in accordance with existing policy.
Assist public with adoptions of animals.
Assist in veterinary health checks, breed identification, and euthanization as required.
Provide guidance to junior staff as required.
Perform other related duties, commensurate with the Class Specification, as required.
Your education and qualifications include:
Certification as a Registered Vet Technologist (RVT as recognized by the Manitoba Veterinary Medical Association and the Manitoba Veterinary Technologist Association).
Experience or training in the care of dogs and cats (minimum 1 year preferred).
Experience working or volunteering with handling dogs in an animal welfare environment including: animal shelter, animal agency, dog rescue, dog boarding kennel, or veterinary clinic (minimum 1 year preferred).
Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Ability to meet and deal with the public in a positive manner, sometimes under stressful conditions.
Ability to plan and organize work with minimum direct supervision.
Ability to operate a computer and other basic office machines, such as photocopier, fax, etc.
Ability to learn new computer applications, specifically Chameleon, within three months.
Ability to make mathematical calculations.
Ability to maintain accurate records.
Ability and willingness to work variable shifts.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other staff and work as a member of the Agency team.
Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality with respect to dealing with sensitive documents and Agency issues.
A thorough knowledge of the operating procedures and practices of the City of Winnipeg would be an asset.
Must possess or be able to acquire within a reasonable period of time a good working knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions and regulations applicable to the position’s area of work.
Conditions of employment:
The successful applicant must maintain legal eligibility to work in Canada. If the successful applicant possesses a work permit, it is their responsibility to ensure the permit remains valid.
Candidates will not be considered unless they are an RVT recognized by the Manitoba Veterinary Medical Association and the Manitoba Veterinary Technologist Association.A Police Information Check (Vulnerable Sector) satisfactory to the employer will be required from the applicant(s) or successful candidate(s), at their expense. To obtain a Police Information Check please visit www.winnipeg.ca/police.
The successful applicant may be required to undergo a medical assessment at the Occupational Health Branch to ensure they are physically capable of performing the duties of the position, which may include, but are not limited to: pushing, pulling, reaching (either or both arms), and lifting weights up to 50 lbs.
CORE COMPETENCIES for ALL EMPLOYEES OF THE CITY OF WINNIPEG:
Citizen & Customer Focus
Ethics and Values
Integrity and Trust
How to Apply
APPLY ONLINE, including all documentation listed below:
Current resume and Application Form (Required).
Applications submitted without REQUIRED documentation will not be considered.
*Your application documents must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications of the position.*
Online applications can be submitted at http://www.winnipeg.ca/hr/. For instructions on how to apply and how to attach required documents please refer to our FAQ’s or contact 311. The City of Winnipeg uses the Korn Ferry Leadership Architect Competency Model as part of the recruitment process.