The Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization – International Vaccine Centre (VIDO-InterVac), a research organization at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon, Canada, is seeking a Veterinary Technologist for its clinical research team. The clinical research group is currently comprised of three Veterinarians and nine Animal Care Technicians/Husbandry personnel and is responsible for the care of all animals used in experimental research. This includes work with small and large animal species in containment level 2 and level 3. The group works closely with scientists at VIDO-InterVac to help understand infectious diseases of humans and animals and to develop effective strategies for improving human and animal health.
• Clean, feed and handle laboratory and domestic farm animals
• Set up and dismantle pens for large animal trials, including lifting heavy panels
• Unload and stack bales and feed bags
• Pressure wash and disinfect animal rooms and equipment
• Maintenance and repair of outdoor pens and feeders
• Perform blood and tissue sampling in a wide variety of species, sometimes wearing restrictive personal protective equipment
• Give injections to a wide variety of animal species sometimes wearing restrictive personal protective equipment
• Observe and report clinical symptoms in a variety of animal species.
• Be aware of aseptic surgical techniques and anaesthesiology.
• Be aware of good biosafety and biosecurity measures to protect animals, humans and the environment
• Be able to understand the importance of and follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s)
• Communicate effectively with colleagues and researchers, and keep accurate records
• Registered Veterinary Technologist diploma or BSc in Agriculture.
• Must have basic computer skills.
• Valid driver’s license.
Inquiries regarding this job posting can be submitted to Stacy Weisgerber, HR Advisor. Visit www.vido.org/careers/current-opportunities to apply. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until suitable candidates are found.