Assistant Animal Care Technician – Vivarium – Department of Biology
Job Number: A85.21
Classification: Assistant Technician 1
Date Posted: August 13, 2021
Employee Group: AESES
Hiring Range: $14.39 – $15.60 per hour + 6% vacation pay
Position Category: Variable hours, Continuing
Probation/Trial Period: 910 working hours or six (6) months, whichever comes first
Salary Range: $14.39 – $15.60 per hour + 6% vacation pay
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: 0-35 hours per week
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Job Type: Variable Hours
Close Date: 08/22/2021
Note: To safeguard the health of the UWinnipeg community — and support public health efforts — during the ongoing COVID-19 situation, the campus is closed until further notice. Staff are working remotely to deliver most services online and only some essential services remain open. The work described in this posting will be conducted remotely during this time. Live animals are in the Vivarium and all Vivarium staff are working on campus 7 days a week.
• Maintenance of Goldfish, Medaka and Stickleback, other animals include (not limited) frogs, goldfish.
• Check salt (NaCl) & Calcium Chloride (CaCl) dosing tanks for Aquatic skid.
• Monitor (measure & record) ammonia, nitrite/nitrate levels.
• Living streams are cleaned and water replaced; the filters are cleaned, filter substrate is replaced, measure and record temperature of water and adjust heaters if necessary.
• Monitor hardness and alkalinity of the system water.
• Use of a HACH meter to measure and record – LDO, Conductivity and pH water parameters.
• Rear fish at different stages of development
• Monitor fish for various symptoms/diseases and treat as necessary.
• Provide environmental enrichment inside the cages of rats and mice for stimulus
• Provide general maintenance and monitor rats and mice cage boxes; clean soiled cages and replenish food hoppers and water bottles (check daily and refill as required).
• Load and unload cage washer (periodically).
• Animals are monitored for illness/disease, remove deceased animals from general population.
• Duties performed in the bat room are dictated and guided by the Researcher and/or the research staff.
• General maintenance duties as required.
• Other duties as assigned and required.
• Completion of first year undergraduate Biology degree program desirable.
• Working knowledge of animal husbandry or experience working with animals would be considered an asset.
• University of Winnipeg on-line Animal Care Course and PEI Fish Care Course.
• Completion of WHMIS training and certificate.
• Safety training orientation and compliance with safety.
• Some directly related animal care experience.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions accurately.
• Ability to work alone.
• Ability to maintain cleanliness and safety standards, regulations and protocols.
• Ability to relate well with various levels of internal staff.
• Ability to work independently in carrying out assignments.
• Ability to work in a secure locked area (basement level); no natural light.
• No known allergies to animals, chemicals or plants.
• Current Tetanus immunization.
• Rabies immunization and titre is required if work with bats is scheduled.
• Ability to work regular weekends, some statutory holidays, weekends and infrequent weekdays.
• Valid driver’s license helpful but not required.
An equivalent combination of education, experience, skills, knowledge and abilities may be considered.
Condition(s) of Employment:
• Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
The University of Winnipeg is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse staff and faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research environments, and is essential to academic and institutional excellence. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, racialized persons, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and 2SLGBTQ+ persons to confidentially self-identify at time of application.
If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact Sheena Laurin, HR Assistant at [email protected] or 204-988-7648.
Position Closing Date: 08/22/2021